Friday, July 1, 2016

My Secret Sauce

1) Describe five ways in which you think you have human capital that is truly unique. What is it about you, exactly, that makes you different?
I am very motivated to always learn and do better for myself. I jump into every job with both feet, excited about the opportunity, and strive to do my best. I offer my knowledge and opinion in hopes of improving processes (sometimes not always taken the best way...), and am just generally excited about my professional growth and future. If I ever see a chance to improve my professional net worth, I will take it. This includes taking courses, getting certificates, being self taught in software or html, licenses, etc. I know that my knowledge is my power and no matter what happens, its the one thing that won't be taken away from me. 
Now, because of these traits, I have also been known to be a pain in the ass, so with great power comes great responsibility (haha). Sometimes I have to check myself and decide if I am being "too much" for people. Its a constant internal battle.

2) Interview the five people who know you the best. Ask them what they think makes you different -- remember, focus on your knowledge, skills, abilities, emotions -- in other words, your human capital.

For this section, I was only able to interview 3 people, because I am new to the area I live and am really only close to a few people. My family lives in another area and I was unable to interview them.

Interview 1 - My (soon-to-be) mother-in law. https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/sss
Sally is very sweet and had so many nice things to say about it. Although I feel she was very complimentary, she also had good reasons for the way she feels about me. She touches on some of the aspects I touched on myself, so that helps to reassure me that I have a good idea what it is that makes me different.

Interview 2 - My (soon-to-be) father-in-law. https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/mike-secret-sauce
Mike also had some very nice things to say about me. He did mention some things I had not, such as my ability to work with computers and help fix them when he needs help. Computer skills are very valuable these days.

Interview 3 - My fiance. https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/drew-secret-sauce
Of course, he had to say nice things. That's his job, right? But seriously, it is flattering to hear some of the things he thinks about me that he doesn't normally tell me so this interview helped me realize how he sees me.

3) Reflect on the differences.

I believe I see myself in many of the same ways that others see me. There were a couple surprising things they said about me, but all very positive. I think I may be harder on myself than others are. But this could also be because they don't want to be brutally honest. Lets hope they weren't holding back...

1 comment:

  1. It seems like you have a lot to look forward to! I think this assignment is great because it gave you the opportunity to think highly of yourself and like you said, hear how others think good of you. Its important to have enough confidence to know you can dive two feet into things. Motivation is key. Its also cool you are good with computers.

    ReplyDelete