1) You. Who you are.
What your talents are. What your skills and experiences are. Also: what
are your aspirations? Specifically regarding your business concept, how
do you see this business (if you were to start it) playing a role in
your life?
This one has not changed. I
am still a full-time employee, mother, and wife, but am a professional who is
very driven to succeed. I welcome change and adventure. I am always
trying to grow and find new ways of creating financial freedom. I am a
Marketing professional and really enjoy the networking, meeting new
people, events, and promoting my current company. My dream would be to
have freedom over my own schedule so I could do all the things I want to
do in my personal life, including being involved with my sons school
and other activities (field trips, sports). Working for a company, they
always have you under their thumb in one way or another. I could see
starting my own business (as I have done this before), and promoting it
well. These are some of my strengths. I love working with people and
think that my concept goes well with my skills. The business would
probably be my bread and butter until it stabilizes, then I could
probably back off a little and run it while opening my next venture.
2) What are you offering to customers? Describe the product or service (in other words, how you'll solve customers' unmet needs).
- The
service I am offering is a water taxi and shuttle/excursion service in
Fort Myers, FL. It will be in the FM downtown area/Cape Coral canals,
FM/Sanibel Beaches, and possibly in the backwaters of Bonita Beach. This
will solve the issue of drunk boating/driving, boring transportation
while visiting the beautiful Southwest Florida area, give people an
opportunity to get on the water and explore areas they were previously
unable to access, or take to places they never knew existed. We will
offer on board refreshments, including adult beverages.
I believe as this semester goes on, my service has changed just a little to be more for a leisurely ride, and less of a service to provide people rides home from boating and drinking. It has come to my attention that people would feel uncomfortable leaving their boats over night somewhere.
3) Who are you offering it to? Describe,
in as much detail as possible, the demographic and psychographic
characteristics of your customers. Think especially of this question:
what do your customers all have in common?
- My
customers will be tourist and area natives, residents and their
visitors, and anyone looking to enjoy a ride under the stars or in the
waves. The one thing they all have in common is a want to be on the
water. I believe this is still all true.
4) Why do they care? Your
solution is only valuable insofar as customers believe its valuable to
them. Here, explain why customers will actually pay you money to use
your product or service.
-
They will pay for the service because they may not have a boat of their
own and want to enjoy the waterways, or they have been drinking or plan
on drinking but want a more exciting ride than in a taxi. They might
not know the area or hidden gems and we will take them there on
excursions. Perhaps, they just want to spend an evening drifting up and
down the river for a sunset cruise with drinks. This is an experience
that noone else offers in this area, but I have seen be wildly
successful in places such as Key West and in the East Coast of Florida's inter-coastal.
5) What are your core competencies? What sets you apart from everyone else? Also: what do you have that nobody else has?
-
My entire service is something that no one (in the SWFL region) offers.
It is unique in itself. In order to get the same experience, you would
have to drive a minimum of 2 hours from here.
I believe that the excursion part of my business might be more a draw than the ride from your house to a bar, but it will all depend on how I get my business. I will have to run the business for a little bit before I can determine which part of the business is more lucrative and which part might be too much.
Feedback Memo:
1) Most believe that tourists will be my largest client base.
2) There will be large overhead costs for maintaining my fleet.
3) There is a "want" for this type of service in my area.
4) Seasons and weather will both be a large factor in my business.
5) Boat owners will be hesitant to leave their boats overnight.
Hi Lindsey,
ReplyDeleteGood job applying your feedback to this assignment. Your feedback memo list seems to be pretty accurate. I definitely agree that tourists would be your largest client base and this will be popular in your area. It’s great that you’re considering all aspects that might affects your business, especially weather. A rainy day week or tropical storm could put you out of business for a bit of time.
I have not checked in on your idea in a few weeks and like the changes you have made. I really like how you have expanded your idea so it could be viewed as a service or a leisure venture. However, now that you have incorporated alcohol into your plan you have another additional overhead cost (beer/wine and liquor licensing, alcohol/liquor bond, alcohol service liability insurance, etc.). This may not be as substantial as fleet maintenance but it is still a significant overhead. Great job on your idea!
ReplyDeleteVery good job on this assignment. It sounds like you got really good feedback on the previous Idea Napkin. I think your concept could really be a good idea and really work.
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job applying the feedback you got from before! The only problems I can see coming up is how your business fluctuates with the tourism seasons. Its also possible that people will see your business as a one-time activity for a water tour rather than a multi-use function as a water taxi to get around. Sometimes people are willing to walk or drive their own vehicles to get around rather than pay to get on a boat. These are just some challenges I have noticed with similar concepts other places, but I think with a passion you can accomplish anything! Good job!
ReplyDelete