Wednesday, May 25, 2016
Looking for Opportunity
Opportunity #1: My first economic opportunity is pulled from information derived from Forbes Magazine. It states that income growth has improved and that we should see a spike in consumer spending. This leads me to believe that the is an opportunity in perhaps the retail environment, since Americans are expected to spend more money as a result of saving money on such items as fuel and energy costs. The prototypical customer will be Americans realizing a savings in energy costs who will turn around and spend their money versus saving it. I think this opportunity seems relatively easy to exploit. Although the article is not specific as to which types of products will be consumed, if you have a retail idea, now might be the time to try your hand at it. I saw the opportunity in this because where some people might see a chance to save or spend their money, I am thinking its a good time to earn the dollars people will be out to spend. I have seen a roaring "spend" economy and it seemed that people were excited to get rid of their money in exchange for something they saw of value.
Opportunity #2: My second economic opportunity also came from Forbes Magazine. The article describes how our healthy economy is seeing growth in employment, and the demand for goods. This is causing a meed for skilled workers, which are hard to find right now. It mentions wages increasing in hopes of attracting those skilled workers. The opportunity that I see would be to open a skilled worker employment placement agency. The prototypical customer would be employers seeking skilled workers, such as construction companies, etc, as well as skilled employees seeking fair compensation for their work. This one also seems easy to exploit. The need is there and employers will already be seeking these employees, but their rate of turn around would naturally be slower than an agency's, enticing them to pay for your services. I see the opportunity here because I once found a job through an agency. They placed me in a position almost the moment I walked through their door. My employer paid them directly, which they took a chunk of, and paid me the remains. This is clearly profitable.
Opportunity #3: The first regulatory opportunity stems from an initiative that will be on the Florida ballot again this November, and from Marijuana Policy Project website, allowing for the legalization of marijuana in the state of Florida. Of course, it will first be authorized for medicinal purposes only, leading to decriminalization, and ultimately legal for recreational use. The opportunity I see in this is, of course, opening a bakery and dispensary! Once legalized for recreational use, users will be looking for stores to purchase different varieties and in different forms. This could be a very lucrative business, as we have seen from Colorado leading by example. I have a friend who lives in Denver and has described these dispensaries to me. It would be very interesting to see this shops popping up around Florida and I know this would be an easy opportunity to exploit. The prototypical customer would be anyone seeking to purchase marijuana goods in a retail environment. In my experience, people would much prefer to shop in a clean and safe business environment than in a sketchy alley with potentially dangerous individuals.
Opportunity #4: The second regulatory opportunity I found is in response to Florida implementing the Florida Black Bass Management Plan, as found on the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website. The new plan is in place to help the sustainability of the black bass population, while keeping Florida the Black Bass Fishing Capital of the World. They are doing this by promoting bass fisheries for catch and release. The opportunity I see would be to open a Bass Fishery and exploit this opportunity by offer customers the chance to catch some of the largest black bass in the world. The prototypical customer would be fishing enthusiast, tourist and locals, who care about the necessity of catch-and-release. This opportunity may be hard to exploit because a fishery sounds like a large business to physically build, and I would have to catch or grow large black bass before be able to advertise as such. I see the opportunity in this because I enjoy fishing, and without knowing where to go or what bait to use, you may never see a fish on the end of your line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your fishery idea is a fresh one. You are correct you may need a significant amount of wetland real estate to facilitate this plan. I was actually reading an article not to long ago about the rising popularity of catch and release camps in BC Canada because of increased limits on recreational fishing (wish I had link). One criticism that I would like to make though is that I wish you had provided links to your sources. Other than that great ideas.
ReplyDeleteGREAT POST!!
ReplyDeleteThe Marijuana idea is very true. I didn't think about that being an opportunity but in reality there is a ton of business ventures that could come with the legalization of such substance. I have a feeling people will be jumping on that concept quickly. I also agree that people would be more willing to shop in a clean, legal retail environment rather than a sketchy one. I also think its cool that you used Forbes magazine for economic opportunities. Great idea.
ReplyDelete