Friday, May 27, 2016

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

The opportunity I am most interested in pursuing is starting up a water taxi to serve the Fort Myers River District, Cape Coral canals, Fort Myers Beach and Bonita Beach areas, in hopes of providing a safe and enjoyable ride to wherever they need, by keeping drunk or inexperienced boaters off the waterways.

Who: This service would be beneficial to tourists to the area, as well as locals, who want to be on the water but are lacking the capabilities. I believe this need exists among 60% or tourists, but maybe only 15-20% of residents.

What are the boundaries: Only individuals with access to the water would you the service regularly. They would have to live on or have access to a canal, boat ram, dock, beach, etc.

Why: Some may not see the need for the service if they have a boat. They might decide to drive themselves even after drinking. Some people may decide to get a car taxi, or drive themselves if they think it costs less.

Interviews:

1) Mike: https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/mike
2) Sally: https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/sally
3) Karen: https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/karen
4) Stephanie: https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/stephanie
5) Crystal: https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/crystal

In interviewing, my prototypical customers were very helpful in thinking of aspects that hadn't crossed my mind. They came up with new ideas on how to expand my concept, and other ideas on what to watch out for. Overall, a productive assignment. 


3 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I was just in tampa and noticed that they have a water taxi service that seemed nice and also convenient as people from Davis Island could take it to go to work downtown. Ft Myers would be a good place for this as there isn't much to do so an added feature such as this would be a good addition to the city. I also agree that it would add opportunity to get on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be so great. Here is an article from 2007 where Don Paight talks about how this would come about by 2012, http://www.ftmyersmagazine.com/FtM-edit.RiverDistrict.html
    It sounds like there are development officials who would like to see this idea realized. Think about the marketing bridging that could occur. Also, I know there are larger ferries and party boats on the river, however, it would be nice to have someone come and pick up me and my friends Ubber style. I wonder what the bidding process, and barriers to entry, would look like for that. You may be on to something

    ReplyDelete