Friday, May 13, 2016

Bug List

My Bug List

1) Constant Contact's Redundancy - In creating emailing campaigns (and mostly in copying campaigns) it seems like they ask you the same information over and over (Title, Dates, Content) instead of automatically including it in all your event emails based on the campaign details.
Why? My guess would be that they thought it was better to give the user the ability to fully customize content instead of automating part of the process for them.
2) Again, Constant Contact, but about usability - Almost everything you do in Constant Contact does not have the proper buttons/links to take you to a different point in the creation process. You have to hit the back or finished button to access other options. Very frustrating!
Why? Honestly, I think they just haven't realized this is an issue yet. They do advocate suggestions, so I will be submitting this to them as well in hopes they make their system more fluid and user friendly.
3) The cost of food in the Fort Myers area - for some reason, every restaurant here thinks they can charge whatever they want for their meals. It gets frustrating when trying to save money but also get out of the office for lunch.
Why? Fort Myers is a very tourist driven area. It runs on the money of vacationers and tourists, and knowing this gives them the power to maintain higher prices than other areas.
4) Shopping cart return locations - My Publix has shopping cart returns all the way at the end of the aisles, furthest from the store.
Why? Perhaps the plaza has limited parking and they didn't want to sacrifice more parking spots for cart returns.
5)The cost of daycare - families are expected to have 2 incomes these days in order to hold a comfortable lifestyle. And single parents? Forget it! Half their income goes to daycare!
Why? Because they think they can compete with private school pricing on daycare, and know that society has given parents almost no other choice.
6) Cell phones don't seem to last more than 2 years, if that long. Droids less than iPhones.
Why? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think it is designed to only have a quality that lasts a finite amount of time, forcing us to "upgrade" to their newest, and more expensive version.
7) The line at the Panera off US 41 and Boyscott has a ridiculously long line at lunch time.
Why? It is right off the main road in Fort Myers, and is the only Panera in the area.
8) There are so many scams out on the internet, and in particular, the retail industry where web stores pop up and offer designer designs, but once you receive it, it is a cheap piece of cloth sent directly from some unknown factory in China, hardly resembling the original picture online.
Why? They are preying on people who are trying to save money on designer clothes, and think they deserve your money.
9) So many people (coworkers) care very little about others and refuse to find the time to volunteer or donate items when I make arrangements, at my work.
Why? They are lazy or greedy and don't feel it in their hearts to help others.
10) Micro-Managers - when I am asked at my job to track daily tasks, where I am and when, and if projects were completed at work.
Why? Some people feel people need to be managed and followed-up on in order to produce a positive result.
11) Verizon took away their unlimited data, and you are now forced to pay depending on the amount of data you expect to use every month.
Why? Phone companies have found a way to charge more for services because the dependency on technology has risen, but we also expect that phone service costs should go down with abundency of companies, so this is their way of still getting their numbers.
12) My house is not wired for regular cables and I am stuck with DirecTV because they offer the wireless Genies, making me unable to get a lower price elsewhere.
Why? All the wires were ripped out of the walls by previous owner during renovation.
13)Fort Myers has a very limited job market.
Why? Area is based on tourism and seems to have really only one industry - Hospitality, and no major tech firms or other large corporations.
14) When planning a wedding, just mentioning the word "wedding" to a possible vendor triples the price.
Why? People think they can price gouge for the same services, because they know the event means so much to you.
15) The water running out of my pipes sometimes has such a horrible taste and smell.
Why? The pipes in this neighborhood are so old.
16) My family thinks its such an expensive and hard task to come and visit me where I live.
Why? They think the drive is too long and are afraid they will spend too much money.
17) Color printers that use up their ink to fast, because I print flyers, etc to see how they look before mass printing.
Why? The ink cartridges are so small.
18) How people from an area, such as New York, become such snobs about it when they visit your area, and constantly go on about how its better where they are.
Why? They are always trying to justify to themselves and others why they say the like it where they live.
19) People who don't know boat laws or waterways or how to trailer their boats get in the way of a perfectly peaceful afternoon on the water.
Why? They probably don't own a boat and are just renting a boat while close to the water, and don't realize there are rules you have to follow to stay safe.
20) Walmart. Enough said? But really, its full of such rude people and aisles are always in disarray.
Why? It is a discount store and attracts certain people, maybe they are in a rush or just angry, and don't pay their employees well.

I didn't find this too challenging although I did have to stop a couple times and come back to it to come up with fresh new (an unrelated) ideas. I can say that in looking for bugs, I could feel the frustrations of the situation. I found myself focusing on the area in which I live.









4 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsey!

    I loved how clearly you described your bugs. I totally can relate to the micromanaging bug. That figuratively is the bane of my existence in any situation, be it at work, school or home.
    I also noticed many of your bugs centered around the inconvenience of living in the Ft. Myers area. I do hope that the good outweighs the bad in being a Ft. Myers resident.
    I found myself chuckling at your reference to Walmart because it is soo true in almost every Walmart that I have set foot in.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your number 6 bug in the depths of my soul! I finally got a new phone for the first time since my freshman year and it was desperately needed. I had a 4S for awhile, it was old when I got it, but it worked well. But the new iOS was way too much for it and I remember using it only for music one day while driving to Orlando. I reached down to change the song and the phone almost burnt my hand it was so hot! These older devices are not made to handle newer systems and whether that's just old hardware can't keep up or an actual conspiracy theory is something to wade through. All I know is that it's ridiculously frustrating when you're buying a piece of hardware to use and it's expensive as it is before even thinking of having to buy a new one in a relatively short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, keep up the good work!!
    -Anne-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love how specific you were for all of your bugs. It shows that you are hard worker and are willing to go above and beyond. I really agree with number 17. Printer ink should print many more pages than it actually does. It ends up being quite pricy because of how quickly it runs out. I think its great that this came easily to you. I had some troubles coming up with all 20 so easily.

    ReplyDelete