I see a great need for improvements or alternatives in the Health Insurance Industry in Florida. Every citizen has a need for affordable health insurance. This need has probably always been there in some form in the past, but has been exacerbated in the past few years with implementation of new laws, such as the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which requires the uninsured to pay a penalty for not carrying insurance. Currently, individuals are seeking health insurance either via employers (if offered), private insurance, Medicaid, Florida Kidcare, or are going without insurance all together.
Assuming there aren't extremely complicated stipulations to do so, I would say that I am 65% sure that there is an opportunity to provide health insurance at a more affordable rate to individuals needing a better and more affordable option.
Interview #1: Misty, single mother of one - https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/misty
Interview #2: Sarah, Engaged mother of one - https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/sarah
Interview #3: Drew, single male - https://soundcloud.com/user-979476020/drew
Reflection: I learned that most people are frustrated with the health care and health insurance industry. They are experiencing difficult in affordability of employer offers plans, and most have considered or used Medicaid as temporary relief to their problem. The most surprising part that I learned was that there is much confusion about laws and penalties surrounding Health Insurance. And little is know about the specifics of different health insurance options out there, leading consumers to uninformed decision regarding their policies or other plans.
Summarize: I believe my opportunity still exists, and even more so, now that I have spoken to different people about their personal experiences. My new opportunity is more accurate because I have a better sense of how the public views health insurance options. Entrepreneurs should definitely pay attention to customer feedback. This is some of the most valuable data you can collect.
Your overall idea fills a great void throughout the country. I am learning in another class just how important health care or insurance is for our country. Im sure a lot of people in addition to the three you interviewed would agree that it is a frustrating industry that has a lot of room for improvement.
ReplyDeleteInsurance is one of those things that you don't need until you do. It's one of the most important things that a person can have and provides a safety net for when a person is faced with a troubling time. It should be more affordable so that all of America's citizens can be protected and have insurance in place for themselves as well as their families.
ReplyDeleteHealth care is defiantly a problem that so many people in america either have or have an opinion on. i defiantly think that we nee to find a better way to help everyone afford and feel comfortable with their healthcare instead of being pressured into. i can agree with the people you interviewed in that health care can be confusing with so many regulations it gets hard to keep up with.
ReplyDeleteLindsey,
ReplyDeleteI can identify with Drew because when I was younger I would have been very upset for paying health insurance that I rarely used and only for things like a common cold. Misty seemed nonchalant about her health insurance and didn't seem to happy about her employer provided insurance. You are right, there needs to be more education provided to consumers concerning health care and the pros and cons of each option. There should be education provided by employers to give there employees the tools they need to make an informed decision.
This is an amazing topic to research about. I certainly agree that there is a lot of confusion around insurance. There are so many options and plans that have thousands of combinations depending on if it is for a single person or for a family. Solving an issue such as insurance is a very large one. I don't know if a national plan or more privatized option would be best for America.
ReplyDeleteP.s. You have a very clear voice that was easy to listen to!
GREAT POST!!
ReplyDelete